Sunday, January 15, 2012

Love And Laughter :)



In a small corner,
In a small community,
On the other side of the world,
Everyday around two pm we meet.
Some walk from far away,
Some live in the community,
others leave small jobs to come and meet with us.
We all come for the same reason,
love and hope.
And Crocheting hats :)
Dirt under our feet,
Sitting on wooden benches.
With our yarn in our laps.
We sit, laugh, and learn from each other.
Over the last week
I have really  fallen in love with these women.
Their eyes.
Their smiles.
Their love.
And the fact that we get together
Everyday for three hours and I get to teach them
Something I just learned myself.
It’s a beautiful thing here.

This is Janet, she is in her late thirties and has five kids.
She is married and she has the only husband  in the community.
There is so much beauty and commitment in her.
Everyday she shows up on time.
For Africa and this community, that’s impressive.
She is on her second yarn
and is now making a beautiful neon yellow hat.
She might just become the leader once we head home.
She always has her youngest one on her back.
Goodness God really put his hand print on this country.
And made it beautiful.
Here is her youngest one sitting with mammy
while she crochets.
Watching these women sit and chat
and laugh together just makes my heart sing.
 Last week we started teaching the community we are working with 
how to crochet hats. 
We are hoping to sell them in the States
 and use the profit to help this community 
save up enough to get a sewing machine
 and hopefully God willing a small shop 
that would provide enough work for these women
 to feed their families. 
My single moms ministry is growing!!!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I cried when I read this. Daniel had learned to crochet the Christmas before he died. He crocheted me a scarf that Christmas, and had made several hats after that.
    Thank you so much for sharing your adventures. You inspire me to do more in my corner of the world.
    Love you.
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story!! I enjoy ALL your posts. Thanks for sharing your heart. Thanks for living radically for Christ. Thank you for being you. I love & miss you a TON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW WOW WOW!! I have to leave another comment cuz I've been trying to post comments for months and this is the first one that finally published!! Yeah God!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow sister! That really paints a beautiful picture of the wonderful things you are able to do over in Africa. That little boy is adorable and those people are very blessed to have such a wonderful person to hang out with for a few hours once a week! We love you and miss you!!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete