Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Race Worth Running


Shades made possible curtsy of Mama! 

Yesterday I was reminded of what it was like to be a kid again.
I remember being a pre-teen,
and living on Aqueduct lane,
and my little sister Danae got new shoes,
She was probably six or seven,
and the whole way home from the store
she was telling me how much faster she was now
that she had these new shoes.
As a teenager I remember being in this awkward stage
of knowing your right
and making sure that your little siblings know you are,
because well your bigger than them
and clearly it means you are smarter.
So as we pull up to our house we decide to race.
Her being six or seven and me being eleven or twelve.
Clearly I knew who was going to win.
So as we decided to race around the cul-de-sac
and back to our house as we raced and came to the
last little stretch I’m sure being that age I beat her
just to prove my point.
But if I was given the opportunity to redo
I would let her win and keep that child-like faith.
Even if her faith is in her new shoes.
So yesterday when we went to our sports ministry,
we were met at the base of this hilly mountain
by a 12 year old boy named Michael.
So as we walked about 25 yards up this mountain I look to my left
and here comes Aimable our translator
jogging up the hill so I start mimicking him
and jogging at the same speed up the hill
then Michael starts to run with us.
As we run it turns into a race and we are trying,
as best we can to run up this mountain.
My lungs give in and I surrender first.
We stand and wait for the team to catch up.
As we do this my lungs recover
and I look at Michael and say “twoginday”,
which means lets go!!
We race up this mountain
and do this four or five more times
where we wait for the team
and my old lungs get a chance to recover!!
I think they aren’t used to changing altitudes anymore!!
As I do this I cant help but laugh
because we are “running” through a residential area
so people are coming out of their house
and cracking up at this Mazungu that’s running up the hill!
I also love the simplicity of being childlike.
Friendships are created over playing and having fun.
So while Michael and I couldn’t communicate
we still got to laugh
the whole race up the mountain
while I spoke my few words I knew in his language.
As we arrived at the top of this mountain
we are surrounded by an amazing view
and I am caught in awe of how big our God is
and how good He is!!
And how much i treasure this little race we had!!!
The View and the school/church we are working with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment